[ZPT] Looking for an answer to Sharing a form for both editing and adding (formulator)

Exteam exteam6 at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jul 21 15:23:47 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to the problem of using both editing and adding using formulator. Ran into the following page, on the web, which asks the same question so well, that I am just quoting it here.

U can find it in the following link:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/12572/2002/11/0/10166843/

The problem is as follows:

How do people structure and name their Formulator forms and Zope trees so
the same form can be shared between add and edit functions?  For example, if
I have an SQL table like so:

    create table person (
        last_name character varying(80),
        first_name character varying(80),
        middle_name character varying(80),
        ssn character varying(80),
        email character varying(80)
    );

I'd like the same form to be usable for both adding new people and editing
the information for people already in the database.  I'm using page
templates, so that might make a difference as well.  Currently, I have a
structure which looks like this

    person
        form
        add
            index_html
            input_form
            do_action
        edit
            index_html
            input_form
            do_action

where "form" is a Formulator object, index_html displays either a blank or
filled in form using input_form, and do_action performs the necessary
database insert or update operations.  Where should my form go and how
should I refer to fields?  Though I use a single Formulator form, I wind up
duplicating the actual HTML <form> (in input_form) because in one case I use
the Formulator defaults and in the other case I fill in values for the
fields dredged from my database.  In my add <form>:

  <th class="form-label"
      tal:content="python: here.utils.field_title(here.form.city)">title</th>

In my edit <form>:

  <th class="form-label"
      tal:content="python: here.utils.field_title(here.form.city)">title</th>

Lots of duplication, as you might imagine.

Also, do I need to use python: to pass a parameter to here/form/city/render
or can I do that somehow from ptl?

I realize this is probably more of a page template question, but you folks
are the ones who must want to share your forms, so I thought you'd have more
direct experience.

looking forward for a quick response..

Regards

Subhankar

SMS using the Yahoo! Messenger;Download latest version.