[ZPT] zope3-dev proposal on changing implicitly calling

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Wed Jul 23 18:29:48 EDT 2003

Steve Alexander wrote:

>> That makes sense, my only fear would be speed of execution. ZPT is
>> crawling slow enough already... how will you make sure speed is nto
>> affected, or affect positively ;-), by this proposal?
>
> The speed of ZPT would be slightly (almost imperceptably) increased in
> Zope 3, because the core TALES code wouldn't be checking to see if the
> last thing traversed to has a __call__.

Well, that's the core TAL engine, right?

If I have a path:
/x/y/z
...where x and z are callables (and x needs to be called to get somethat that y
can be obtained from...) then what would the Zope 3 ZPT/TAL look like to replace
the contents of <i> with the result of calling z?

> Can you summarise what you think the vote would be for?

Well, Florent proposed that, if the above example, you'd write:

<i tal:contents="root/x/y/z"/>

I don't yet know what your opion would be, but at the moment, I'm in favour of
Florent's

cheers,

Chris