[ZPT] i18n-errors (was: html_quote in ZPT)

Geir Bækholt lists at elvix.com
Fri Jul 25 12:13:42 EDT 2003

On  Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:20:40 +0200 GMT (..7:20 where i live(GMT+2) )
Gitte Wange asked the ZPT mailinglist about the following:

> My problem is with the i18n-stuff.
> I'm from Denmark (we use ISO-8859-1 encoding) and have some special
> characters (e.g. æ, ø and å).
> At a place I have some translation saying:
> tal:content="here/title" i18n:name="objtitle" /></td>

> Whenever I have an object with a title containing any of the above
> mentioned characters, I get an error:
> Error Type: UnicodeError
> Error Value: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

> Note: This error only occurs when I have done the translation inside the
> Message Catalog - not before.
> I can see that the error occurs in the TranslationService product, but
> perhaps there is others here experiencing the same kind of problem and
> can help me with a solution.

This is a bug in the I18N framework that has been discussed somewhat
earlier. Try searching the list archives. I recall having the same
problem a year ago or so.

A good starting point might be this thread :
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zpt/2003-January/004257.html

--
Geir Bækholt