[ZPT] zope3-dev proposal on changing implicitly calling

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Mon Jul 28 21:46:50 EDT 2003

Steve Alexander wrote:
> We want to keep path expressions simple, and make them do things
> determined only by the traversal policy defined for the objects being
> traversed.

I'm afraid I disagree. I'd prefer to see it encouraged to keep the traversal
policy simple and consistent (which probably means non-configurable: think the
why-did-they-do-that--because-they-could syndrome of things like Plone) and in
so doing mean that people who want to use paths don't have to end up
understanding how the underlying traversal components work because they all work
differently...

> At present, it seems that the current behaviour is hard-coded into the
> base TALES library, and is not easy to override. This is wrong.
> It should be possible and straightforward to override this.

I can see your point of view, but I'm not convinced myself yet :-S

cheers,

Chris