[ZPT] zope3-dev proposal on changing implicitly calling

Steve Alexander steve at cat-box.net
Mon Jun 23 23:37:22 EDT 2003

>> Chris Withers wrote:
>>
>>> To be honest, I'd like the behaviour to stay just as it is now...
 >>
>> Why?
>
> It means I don't have to worry about whether or not something needs
> calling.

Are you talking about TALES in general, or zope page templates in
particular?

> It's also the only way to currently work around the "I need to call
> something in the middle of a path"
>
> eg, I want:
>
> context/somefunc()/something/etc
>
> ...so I write:
>
> define="x context/somefunc"
> replace="x/something/etc"

Fine. For page templates in Zope, I think Zope should take
responsibility for deciding what is callable and what is not, not TALES.

For TALES in other applications, I think the path expression handler for
that application should decide what is callable and what is not, not TALES.

I think should should still be able to write such things in page
templates in Zope.

The proposal came out of wanting to make calling callables in the middle
of a path expression work the same as calling callables that appear at
the end of an expression. I think the difference in behaviour is a
misfeature.

In Zope 3, this misfeature will be corrected. It will be easier for me
to correct it if TALES doesn't sabotage my choice to call or not to call.

> I think it's nice that non-programmers don't have to understand function
> calling. It's something hard as a concept to introduce to people who may
> never need to understand it...

I agree.

--
Steve Alexander