[ZPT] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: [Vote] PEP308 voting began

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 13:09:04 -0600

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I was going to suggest the following variation.  A tick at the beginning
> of an expression would imply a string.

> ... then I realized it was so close to Python that it would generate
> confusion. :-)

Hmm.  I was thinking along parallel lines about numbers.  Since variable
names (and therefore paths) must start with a letter, we could interpret
a path starting with a digit as a numeric literal, thus allowing the
occasional 'x | python:42' to be written 'x | 42'.

Sanity check?  There's a lot of lubricant on this slope.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am