[ZPT] METAL recursion broken by design or accident?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu May 29 00:40:47 EDT 2003

Shawn Murphy wrote at 2003-5-28 00:23 -0600:
 > Can anybody tell me whether METAL recursion is broken by design -- that
 > is -- was deemed not to be a requirement or deemed to be a problem for
 > some reason, and hence not supported.  The separation of TAL and METAL
 > namespaces seems to be at the architectural heart of METAL not being
 > able to support recursion.

The two level processing (first macro expansion, then
TAL rendering) of page templates was a design goal.
Macro expansion allows the WYSIWYG HTML editor to
present the expanded template and work on it.
Therefore, METAL and TAL processing is in two distinct phases
and METAL cannot have recursion.

Dieter