[ZPT] Unicode and 8-bit string migration fix

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Oct 19 12:32:53 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 02:40, Stuart Bishop wrote:

> Yup. My original proposed patch is more a migration tool for people who
> don't have the luxury of reworking their entire Zope 2.5 codebase to
> Unicode, or who need to support both pre and post Unicode Zopes.

Unfortunately, I think you'll find you're just bandaiding over the
problem.  Unicode + encoded string errors will just build up behind the
clot only to hemorrhage all over your application somewhere else.  I've
been fighting the mixed Unicode/encoded string problem in Mailman the
entire life of 2.1 and it still isn't completely right.  Unicode is like
const correctness in C++, or the Borg in Star Trek.  It's all or
nothing.

> (Hmmm..... must check out to see if Zope3 marshals form submissions into
> Unicode by default... I think Unicode and encodings will always be a
> problem with Zope2...)

Probably so.

-Barry