[ZPT] spacify?

Marc Lindahl marc at bowery.com
Tue Jan 6 12:47:05 EST 2004

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, at 10:30  AM, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Marc Lindahl writes:
>> aw... you gotta be kidding!  All those nice keywords in DTML weren't
>> ported to ZPT?  Sheesh, two steps forward, six steps back! :)
>
> Given that this is the first request for this feature since we
> first implemented ZPT nearly three years ago, I'm not convinced this
> is all that useful to most users.

That's not a good criteria. There's a lot of legacy sites out there,
and people don't change the code unless it's broken.  I have DTML sites
running out there, and won't change them to ZPT unless I'm adding new
stuff or doing a major overhaul....

The design cycle is quick, but once things are deployed, the change
cycle is slow... backwards compatibility is vital for zope to move
forward.  If I start upgrading sites and *everything breaks*, I'll have
to re-evaluate the efficacy if zope itself.

> There's been discussion of making it easier to use collections of
> helper functions by extending the path syntax; perhaps that would be a
> place to put functions of interest to DTML users.

or modules?