[ZPT] spacify?

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Tue Jan 6 15:38:14 EST 2004

Hi Marc,

Marc Lindahl wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, at 01:06  PM, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>
>> It seems that having ZPT be compatible with DTML is not a criteria.
>

> Not compatibility, but an encompassing capability, i.e. not losing
> functionality.

This is by purpose. The goal is to help people to divide application
code and presentation. This is already possible with DTML and python
scripts, but It appears that much people are attracted by the
coding posibilities of DTML and forget about resonable good
style of coding.
The result is often an huge and inmaintainable pile of code interwoven
with HTML fragments. Hard to debug (if possible at all) and even
harder to maintain, let allone making bigger changes in HTML design.

>>> or modules?
>>

>> Things.  The idea has been to adapt something to some interface,
>

> Right, I meant the builtin method 'modules'.
>
>> making a new set of callables available that operate on the portion of
>> the path that's been traversed so far, allowing additional
>> transformations to be performed.  String formatting operations are
>> just one set of interesting operations.
>

> a good one...

I personally dont like this. I even dont like the advanced programming
posibilities ZPTs already provide: tal:define, complicated
python expressions and string manipulations.

My opinion is: if the app is well designed, for example using python
scripts, you can test all data and interface without writing a line
of HTML.

This turns out more effective when you are not the only one doing
the work on the app.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain