[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZPT] Re: RFC: TALES adapters and TAL/Tales variable namespaces

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu May 27 06:28:34 EDT 2004

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> One disadvantage I see with the cast notation is that it's
>> a bit jarring in:
>>
>>   a/b/(adapter)c/d
>>
>> as the adapter is applied to a/b/c. The order just doesn't
>> seem quite right.
>

> That is indeed jarring, especially since c isn't an object, it's just a
> name, and a/b/c is the object in question.  This would look somewhat
> better with the current : mechanism, like a/b/c:adapter/d
>
> My concern with this use of : was that it looked like it should be
> parsed like (a/b/c):(adapter/d), as opposed to ((a/b/c):adapter)/d --
> maybe using something other than : wouldn't imply this grouping.  Or
> maybe if I got used to it the grouping would seem more natural.  I guess
> my intuition is that / binds more closely than : (even if there isn't
> any real precedence at all in TAL expressions).

Yes, this is another issue.  I have the same problem, somehow, with
"foo/bar->dc/title". That is "/" seems to bind more closely than "->",
probably because it's skinnier. :)  I don't have this problem with ":".

Another option is to modify the "/". For example, Evan sugested "/*", as in

   foo/bar/*dc/title

Hm

   foo/:dc/title

Sandly, nothing really jumps out as the best syntax.

So far, I like:

   foo/bar->dc/title

the best.

Jim