[Zope-Coders] Distutils-based Zope install (was Zope 2.6 planning - call for contributors!)

Richard Jones rjones@ekit-inc.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:37:11 +1100

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 02:03, Chris McDonough wrote:
> > Just because distutils contains all sorts of bits for the Python way of
> > life doesn't mean we have to use them. :-)  It works fine for
> > straight-up building of modules.
>
> This is what I thought, and I agree.  It would be fine to use distutils for
> the things its good at: packaging and installing Python modules and
> packages.  But I think we also need supporting install software (ala maybe
> something generated by autoconf or written manually) to help install the
> bits of the software that are not Python modules and packages.

Definitely split those tasks - the installation of the Zope software and
individual instances.

I have been impressed by the flexibility of distutils in what some people
have done to make the installation of roundup [1]_ better. In that project,
we have a separate instance installer, and the software installation is all
handled by a distutils setup script. I vote that we don't reinvent the whole
wheel just because of the instance installation issue :)

   Richard

.. _[1]
http://cvs.sf.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/roundup/roundup/setup.py?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain