[Zope-Coders] Distutils-based Zope install (was Zope 2.6 planning - call for contributors!)

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 18:07:48 -0500

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 02:03, Chris McDonough wrote:
>
>>>Just because distutils contains all sorts of bits for the Python way of
>>>life doesn't mean we have to use them. :-)  It works fine for
>>>straight-up building of modules.
>>>
>>This is what I thought, and I agree.  It would be fine to use distutils for
>>the things its good at: packaging and installing Python modules and
>>packages.  But I think we also need supporting install software (ala maybe
>>something generated by autoconf or written manually) to help install the
>>bits of the software that are not Python modules and packages.
>>

> Definitely split those tasks - the installation of the Zope software and
> individual instances.
>
> I have been impressed by the flexibility of distutils in what some people
> have done to make the installation of roundup [1]_ better. In that project,
> we have a separate instance installer, and the software installation is all
> handled by a distutils setup script. I vote that we don't reinvent the whole
> wheel just because of the instance installation issue :)

The Zope distutils-config-branch exists and it works.  I would
appreciate it if all interested in making the move to distutils would
evaluate whether we should proceed to integrate distutils-config-branch.

Shane