[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope/lib/python/DocumentTemplate - DT_Var.py:1.51

Matt Behrens matt@zigg.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:51:02 -0500

Matt cryptically said:

> > It is worth saying, I think, that some things just plain don't need to
> > be global options, and actually become less useful that way.

Guido replied:

> I don't know enough about this particular issue to know how you mean
> this -- against using an envar here in favor of not allowing to change
> it at all from the outside, or for an envar as opposed to a Zope
> global variable?

It's an argument against global knobs in general, regardless of the
method.  In this case, if I read the code correctly, you're saying by
setting that variable that for the entire Zope instance in question, STX
headers should start at the level specified.  I'm not really clear why
I'd want to set that globally, regardless of whether in the OS
environment or in some global Zope thing.