[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope/lib/python/DocumentTemplate - DT_Var.py:1.51

Andreas Jung andreas@andreas-jung.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:55:39 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Behrens" <matt@zigg.com>
To: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org>; "Matt Behrens" <matt@zigg.com>;
<zope-coders@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 11:51
Subject: Re: [Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS:
Zope/lib/python/DocumentTemplate - DT_Var.py:1.51

> It's an argument against global knobs in general, regardless of the
> method.  In this case, if I read the code correctly, you're saying by
> setting that variable that for the entire Zope instance in question, STX
> headers should start at the level specified.  I'm not really clear why
> I'd want to set that globally, regardless of whether in the OS
> environment or in some global Zope thing.

STX headers currently start at 3 for-whatever-reason. The reason to make
introduce the env. variable was because lots of people complained
about that odd default value. Changing the default value to 1 could
break the layout of existing installation. As Zope uses tons of
environment variables (see ENVIRONMENT.txt) my solution is suitable
as long as there is no dedicated configuration management for Zope 2.

Andreas