[Zope-Coders] setup.py

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:01:24 -0400

> > > 3.  I'm not building anything that's not in the Zope module within the
> > > Zope setup.py.  So anything ZEO, etc. needs to be built in its own
> > > setup.py-age.
> >
> > I don't understand what you're saying here.  Are you just telling us
> > that you're not creating a setup.py for ZEO?
>
> No, just that that setup.py would live in the repo with and be
> distributed with ZEO.  Unless Zope ships with ZEO (is it going to
> now?  it would sure make some things I'm doing easier), the setup.py
> that comes with Zope shouldn't have code to build ZEO.

Ah, got it.  I agree that shipping with ZEO would be easier -- but
what version?  We're trying to push ZEO 2, which is better in ways
that I don't quite understand, but sufficiently incompatible to
require a "flag day" event where all clients and servers need to be
upgraded and restarted at the same time, and relatively young.

> > Question: how does your setup.py affect standalone ZODB?
>
> Now I don't understand.  The current setup.py on the HEAD builds
> ZODB plus several other things.  My setup.py builds ZODB much the
> same way, in a setup call alongside several other setup calls for
> other modules that are part of Zope and are not part of ZODB.  How
> is that important to StandaloneZODB?  I'm not proposing to touch
> StandaloneZODB's setup.py.

Ah, of course.  Standalone ZODB has its own setup.py.  Never mind.