[Zope-Perl] problem with dynamic loading of perl embedded in python ?

Joseph Wayne Norton norton@alum.mit.edu
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 01:15:02 +0900 (JST)

Gisle -

Thanks for the patch!  The Data::Dumper example works just fine now.
I also want to clarify a few points from my prior e-mail to you.

Gisle Aas writes:
> Did it actually fail or was it just a warning?  I would anyway suggest
> that we DISABLE prototypes as they don't do much good for methods.

I was mistaken -- sorry for wasting your time.  The message was simply
a warning.  The failure was due to a problem in finding python for
setup.py. I misread the output from my build scripts.

FYI - The following warnings are given my Makefile.PL and then
setup.py respectively when building.

 a. Please specify prototyping behavior for Object.xs (see perlxs manual)

 b. system: '/export/arseed-apps/base/bin/python setup.py install'
 warning: build_ext: old-style (ext_name, build_info) tuple found in
 ext_modules for extension 'perl'-- please convert to Extension
 instance

FYI - I like the idea of having a single install shell script that
accepts paths for the perl/python executables as arguments and
builds/installs the perl and python packages.

>I think Python internal methods somehow tie STDOUT and collect it all
> in a global variable 'printed' that you can choose to return at the
> end of the method.  Perhaps an idea for Perl in Zope too?

I like your idea for keeping the global variable 'printed'.  I haven't
used a Python internal method as of yet ... I have been waiting for
Perl to arrive :).

My desired objective is to have a zope-perl product similiar to the
standard Zope DTML Document product .. but allow embedded perl syntax
rather than DTML (or even better a mixture of markup language, DTML,
and perl).  At this point, I'm not sure if mason, eperl,
HTML::Embperl, HTML::EP, or something similiar is the best starting
point.  I'm just experimenting right now with a subset of the mason
packages to see how they would interface with your new zope-perl
products.

regards,

- joe n.

--
Joseph Norton

norton@alum.mit.edu
+81-3-3822-6936
2-10-7 Tabata, Kita-ku, Tokyo 114-0014, Japan ($B")(B114-0014  $BEl5~ETKL6hEDC<#2CzL\(B10-7)