[Zope-Perl] Zope-Perl install requires Python or Perl (?) compiled with thread support

Scott Langley Scott Langley" <sl@scottlangley.com
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 21:41:52 -0700

I found out during my installation of Zope-Perl that the Python you have in
your path must be installed with thread support - at least on my system:

Linux Mandrake 7.1 on Intel
Python1.5.2 with the patch applied to Python/importdl.c and the DistUtils
v0.9 module installed
Perl built from the latest development sources at:
ftp://ftp.linux.activestate.com/perl-current/ (built without thread support)

If you built Python without enabling thread support - that is, you didn't
specify '--with-thread' when you ran 'configure', then the 'make' for
Python-Object will give this error:

Object.xs:  In function 'XS_Python__Err_Raise':
Object.xs:697: 'PYTHON_LOCK' undeclared (first use in this function)

After I rebuilt Python with thread support, the Zope-Perl installation went
smoothly.

This apparently has to do with the macros in lang_lock.h making PYTHON_LOCK
undefined if WITH_THREAD is undefined.  From the comments at the bottom at
the bottom of lang_lock.h, it appears that it might still work if your Perl
installation is compiled with thread support (which mine isn't).  Is that
the case?

Regards,

Scott Langley
sl@scottlangley.com