[Zope-Perl] Python and Perl scripts

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:28:53 -0700

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> > I think it is a bit confusing since we already use that name for the
> > ActiveX scripting engine. See:
> >
> >   http://www.ActiveState.com/Products/ActivePerl/docs/Components/Windows/PerlScript.html
> >
> > Other than that I agree that this is a better name.
>
> We were worried about the fact that 'Script' is a more common word than
> method, but it is also a bit more vague.  I looked over the above page
> and I think the two product are pretty seperate to not confuse the two,
> and perl script is pretty generic in many cases.  What do Dick or other
> folks think?  We also have no problem with clearing up ambiguity in the
> documentation.

Actually from looking over that page a little I think maybe they're
almost the same thing, you can use PerlScript from ASP and, let's say
you can use Perl Scripts in Zope.  To the end user, this just looks like
the above product with Zope integration.  While maybe confusing to us,
that may be a good way to re-enforce the two under the same name, if you
are using ASP and you want to use Perl, you use a PerlScript, if your
using Zope, it's a Perl Script; both from ActiveState.  It might be more
good than bad to have them be the same.

Just a thought,

-Michel