[Zope-Perl] Python and Perl scripts

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:52:43 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

> Actually from looking over that page a little I think maybe they're
> almost the same thing, you can use PerlScript from ASP and, let's say
> you can use Perl Scripts in Zope.  To the end user, this just looks like
> the above product with Zope integration.  While maybe confusing to us,
> that may be a good way to re-enforce the two under the same name, if you
> are using ASP and you want to use Perl, you use a PerlScript, if your
> using Zope, it's a Perl Script; both from ActiveState.  It might be more
> good than bad to have them be the same.

Please, not that.  There's a wide community of PerlScript users, and the
semantics are different, the associated bugs and features are different,
etc. etc.  A minor issue is that there may even be a TM on PerlScript
which might not jive w/ the Zope definition, I'd have to check.

Regardless of the PerlScript issue, I too don't like the word script, as
many many people refer to "Python scripts" all the time, and they mean
something altogether different than what is currently PythonMethods.  I
think that calling them scripts is inviting a whole other set of
confusions, different but not altogether dissimilar from the use of the
word 'Method'.

I would argue for some other word that's not currently
overloaded.  Zap?  Zop?  Zup?  Z\Up  (that's the swedish front round 'u'
sound =)?

--david