[Zope-Perl] Perl Scripts

Gisle Aas gisle@ActiveState.com
15 Mar 2001 17:34:58 -0800

Kevin Teague <kevin@bud.ca> writes:

> I have been working on the PerlMethod Product for the last couple of days,
> working on improving the interface and adding functionality. Basically I've
> been copying over and tweaking the code from PythonScripts, so that
> PerlScripts can have things like History, Proxy, File Uploading and other
> fun features.

Very cool!

> Is there a particular reason why the PerlMethod Product hasn't been renamed
> the PerlScript Product?

Because we want to avoid that name.  "PerlScript" is the name used for
some ActiveState technology that only works on Windows.  See
http://velocity.activestate.com/docs/ActivePerl/Components/Windows/PerlScript.html

The compromise with DC was to name these things "Script (Perl)" and
"Script (Perl, unrestricted)" instead.  I guess we can use
"ScriptPerl" as the internal name of the product.  But then the
directory name of the Python equivalent is "PythonScripts".

>                  Perhaps now is a good time to update the name, since
> the new features will probably break older existing PerlMethods.

Agree.

--Gisle