[Zope-Perl] Fw: zope-perl

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 21:43:45 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olle =D6stlund" <018-592535@telia.com>
To: "Zope Webmaster" <webmaster@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 7:35 PM
Subject: zope-perl

> I have just tried to install pyperl-1.0.1 on my Redhat 7.1 / Zope 2.4.0
system. I'm using perl-5.6.0 with ithreads and python 2.1.1.
> Pyperl seem to install but when I run "test.py" it says:
>
> [zopeadm@passad pyperl-1.0.1]$ python test.py
> apply.py ............ failed
> basic.py ............ ok
> defined.py .......... ok
> eval.py ............. ok
> hashop.py ........... ok
> import.py ...........Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "test.py", line 58, in ?
>   File "test.py", line 43, in test_ok
> UnboundLocalError: local variable 'expect_next' referenced before
assignment

> Two problems: apply.py core dumps (segmentation fault) and test.py seem=
to be broken (obviously cannot handle a "really" failing test).

> Questions:
> I feel very uncertain about how serious the Zope community is about
supporting perl. First of all, judging from the web there are not too man=
people using perl wit Zope the pyperl way it seems. Second, work on the
pyperl and zoperl software seem to have died off since Februay-March,
judging from the release history. Add to this the fact that I cannot get
pyperl to work.
> So, is there a future in perl for Zope, or should I learn Python and
forget about using perl with Zope?