[Zope-Perl] Re: Standalone ZODB for Perl outside of Zope

Michael Fair michael@daclubhouse.net
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:10:28 -0700

> > I was wondering if there was any project
> > to allow the embedding of the ZODB inside
> > a Perl application?
>
> I'm not aware of any such project.
>
> I expect a port of ZODB to Perl is a non-trivial project.  The two
> biggest steps, I think, would be:
>
> - something like pickle to serialize objects
> - hooks to catch access to objects so that you can detect
>   modifications and load objects on demand
>
> Is this something you're interested in doing?  Or just something you
> wish someone would do <wink>?

Given my overall lack of Perl Zen it's not something I
would be feel remotely comfortable leading a project on.
So I guess that puts me in the "wish someone had done"
category.  However, as my skills improve it's something
that I might be willing to take on - it's a highly
interesting project - especially if you take on the
replicated multimaster version of it.  There's a toolkit
called Spread that is designed to make these kinds of
group communications as efficient as possible while still
making gaurantees about message delivery that I would
probably use.

> > From my research on OO persistence, there is
> > currently nothing in the Perl world that has
> > anything comparable to the ZODB for storing
> > and retrieving objects.
>
> What are the best exsting solutions in the Perl world?

Class DBI, Alzabo, and MLDBM(MLDBM::O) are the ones that
climb to the top of the stack, but none of them are
anywhere near the caliber of the ZODB.  I admit my search
could not have been exhaustive, and there may have been
projects that just didn't describe themselves using the
keywords I was looking for (object persistence storage)...

I hope that helps.

-- Michael --