[Zope-Perl] Trying to Install on a Win 98 machine

Robert Frey rfrey74@cox.net
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:45:30 -0700

Using:

    Zope 2.6.1
    ActivePython 2.2.2
    ActivePerl 5.8
    zoperl 1.0 beta 5

Procedure

    Installed ActivePerl ..... ok
    Installed Zope ..... ok
    Installed ActivePython in bin directory of Zope ..... ok
    Ran "pyppm install pyperl" ..... ok
        NOTE:  there were a couple hicups in the install.
        Could not find try_perlapi.pl or Python-Object,
        but finished with pyperl installed successfully.  Typed
        pyppm verify pyperl, result was pyperl is up to date, so
        I assume it is installed.

    Following directions for zoperl, it says to Build "zoperl":
    At shell:
        > cd D:\zoperl
        > perl Makefile.PL  #unfortunately, there is no Makefile.PL here,
                                       #should there be?
        > nmake install    #there is an install.PL, should i thry to
nmake it?
                                   #Also, anytime I try to nmake
anything on my computer, it says
                                   #bad command or file name.  Is this a
Perl command, or do I need
                                   #to download something to allow me to
namke things?

    Inatall "zoperl":      #I just go here becasue there is no
Malefile.PL in the root
                                 #zoperl directory.
    At shell:
            > cd D:\zoperl\lib\python\products\perlmethod\Hack-Names
                    #There is a Makeffile.pl here!
            > perl Makefile.PL
                    #After entering this, I get to stare at a blinking
cursor for hours with no results.
                    #Is it doing anything?  I don't even see the hard
drive light flashing!
                    #cntrl+c
        The rest of the install instructions are:
            > nmake install  #see comment about nmake on my computer above.
            > cd D:\zoperl\lib\perl
            > mkdir D:\Zope\lib perl
            > copy Zope.pm D:\Zope\lib\perl
            > xcopy /s /f Products\* D:\Zope\lib\python\Products

    start the Zope server:
    at the shell:
            > D:\Zope
            > .\start.bat

Obviously, I need help with getting zoperl installed on my machine.
PLEASE help me, I am beyond the point of frustration and all I want to
do is be able to run Perl scripts in Zope.

Thank you,
Robert