[ZDP] It's there!

Philip Aylesworth zopelist@regalint.com
Fri, 14 May 1999 13:36:14 -0400

> Perhaps we should consider copyright licenses for this kind of
> thing. Perhaps Open Content is something? I should go read
> www.opencontent.org :) Though would this work in the light of our future
> bestseller on Zope? (getting a bit maniacal here :)

The upcoming O'Reilly book about DocBook by Norm Walsh
(http://nwalsh.com/docbook/) will be published as 'open source' on the
'net. Also, the Jargon File site (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/),
certainly hasn't hurt sales of The New Hacker Dictionary (or Eric
Raymound's fame!). The opposite I am sure!

Open content is very appropriate for tech docs because it allows anyone
to fix it and use it in other docs. It can only help the cause.

My philosophy is that you do the doc, give it to the community, then it
is no longer yours. Critisism, changes, etc are directed toward the doc,
not the author (who no longer owns it). I think this should be a
requirement for docs placed on ZDP. If the author does not wish to
reliquish copyright then a link could be placed to the document on the
authors site. Everyone is happy. Freedom of choice, and all that!

BTW: The only thing that can hold back the book is the incredable amount
of work involved! :)

Phil A