[Zope-ZEO] ZEO/ZODB and SQL/ODBC storage manager?

David Bolen db3l@fitlinxx.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:19:10 -0400

Chris McDonough [chrism@digicool.com>] writes:

> No.  It would be nice, but I don't think there is such a thing as a
> generic SQL backend...  every relational-db backed storage will need to
> have slightly different semantics and syntax.  For rationale, see
> http://www.zope.org/Members/jim/ZODB/RelationalStorageDiscussion.

Thanks for the pointer - that does cover a lot of similar thoughts
that I had.  I suppose I was just looking for a simple initial
implementation that might not bother with versioning and undo, but
just provide enough of a template that substituting a few basic
changes (like how to handle a blob with the specific RDBMS at hand)
would permit adapting to any SQL database fairly easily.  But it sounds
like the broader scope in this discussion should lead to something
more capable eventually :-)

-- David

 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l@fitlinxx.com  /