[Zope-ZEO] ZODB as a standalone server

John D. Heintz jheintz@isogen.com
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:07:38 -0600

I am just a few steps away from being able to package some example code
that demonstrates how we are successfully :-) useing ZODB and omniORB to
expose a CORBA application.

Basically, we have a Singleton CORBA object that acts as a Factory for
"sessions".  Each session embodies a CORBA POA with single threaded
policy, a ZODB Connection, and a ZODB Transaction and of course the
CORBA objects representing the persistent objects from the DB.  Getting
the CORBA threads to play well with ZODB Transactions was a bit of a
pain.  That is where my Zope Proposal ExplicitTransactions came from.

The code that I plan on releasing doesn't depend of ExplicitTransactions
so it should be useful with the current code base.

I am wrestling with a bug that I just reported to Zope called "ZODB
Cache Invalidation".  This bug prevents a Transaction.begin() from
refreshing the Connection cache of object from being reset to the latest
from the DB.  When this bug is fixed somehow, I will then have time to
release the code for the ZODB-omniORB connection.

John Heintz