[Zope-ZEO] ZODB as a standalone server

Helge Hess helge.hess@skyrix.com
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:11:29 +0100

Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's a proposed DTD for expressing objects in
> XML?

I'm not sure whether this is required. I have to think more about that,
but I could imagine a tool like
'give-me-an-XSchema-for-the-current-database', sth like the schema
tables in a relational database.
I would guess that the more difficult part is to define a useful query
language (that is: how do I get/change/delete objects). This could use
either HTTP methods or (to be more flexible) a proper request entity,
which could be expressed in XML.

BTW: I'm not *that* interested in using XML/HTTP for this task (indeed I
can imagine that it would give a significant performance penality). I
just would like to access ZODB in other languages. Therefore I would be
fine with a defined, binary protocol (and maybe a ANSI-C client
library). XML might be a neat solution nevertheless.

> It should be fairly simple to write a simple server that allows
> pulling objects out of a ZODB in such a format; might make a good demos
> program...

I thought so and I wonder why nobody came to that conclusion yet :-)

Greetings
  Helge