[Zope-ZEO] ZEO patches for NT

Jeffrey Kunce kuncej@mail.conservation.state.mo.us
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:14:45 -0500

>I suspect it would make more sense to (have an option to) run the
>server as an NT service. Anyone want to volunteer to set that up?

An NT service would be appropriate in a production environment
where you want ZEO serving a specific database full time on a machine.
Nothing wrong than that, but some ZEO apps may need more flexibility.

>>     from ZServer.medusa import asyncore

>I don't want to introduce a dependency on ZServer.

Sorry, I didn't mean that one as a suggestion. It's just what I did to make it work.

>> For some reason, simply copying asyncore.pyc from Zserver/medusa/
>> (as recommended in the Readme) did not work for me,

>How about copying asyncore.py?

oops, I was copying it from an uninstalled zope directory, and only pyc files were left.
But it's the same problem with asyncore.py

>Where did you get an error,
>in the server, or in the client? I assume the server.

No error. The server starts ok. The client just hangs up. Here's the client code:

    from ZEO import ClientStorage
    from ZODB import DB
    storage = ClientStorage.ClientStorage( ('localhost', 7654) )
    db = DB( storage )  #HANGS UP HERE
    conn = db.open()
    dbroot = conn.root()
    print dbroot['www']

But if smac.py uses "from ZServer.medusa import asyncore",
it works fine. I see that ZServer.__init__ does all sorts of magical
stuff, but I don't know which incantation does the trick.

Thanks.

  --Jeff