[Zope-ZEO] ZODB packaging: what next?

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:34:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 akuchlin@mems-exchange.org wrote:

> What about the CVS tree question?  Does anyone at DC have opinions
> about that?

... referring to stuff from andrew's message the day before:

| Issue 2: Coordinating development.  I've created a CVS tree on my home
| machine containing all the packages.  Is it worth my creating a
| SourceForge project containing this tree?  (Packages would be resynced
| with Zope & ZEO releases.)  Would DC object if I did this?
|
| Pros of creating a SourceForge tree are that people can help develop
| the administration scripts and other add-ons that aren't present in
| Zope proper.  On the con side, much of the code really is the same as
| in Zope.  There are a few minor patches (#include files, the odd
| modified import) but those changes should really be propagated back
| into the master tree.  And using CVS branches is always confusing...
|
| An alternative would be to create a zodb/ CVS tree on cvs.zope.org
| that symlinks into the Zope CVS tree, but this strikes me as a bad
| idea; for some messy packages such as Catalog, the symlinking would be
| messy indeed.

I think jim needs to be in on this, but it depends on what you're
trying to do.

If you are trying to create a branch of the code which multiple
outside people can work on, with you being the marshal (and integrator
with the internal repo), then maybe setting up a source forge would be
a good idea, if you're willing to take on the job of doing the
reconciliation.  (Fortunately ZEO isn't big.)

If you're just concerned with being able to work on a branch of the
code yourself, we may want to arrange for ssh-mediated access to the
internal repo, which we do special cases.  You also could handle this
with patches submitted against the public checkout, without checkin-
ability, i'm not sure which is more desirable from the project
manager's (jim's) point of view.

I'm mentioning these just to flesh out the goals - i'm not sure what
best fits jim's vision, and he should have the last word - he's out of
town for a few days.

Ken