[ZODB-Dev] xron and zeo -- follow-up question

Joseph Wayne Norton norton@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:06:52 +0900

Loren et al -

I was browsing through the zodb-dev mailing list and the thread
regarding xron and zeo sparked my interest.  I have a need for the
following xron-like features:

 - a daemon runnning in the background periodically (or
 based on a schedule) triggers a method to be executed on all zope
 server clients sharing the same zeo server.

 - a method is executed manually on a single zope client.  the
 completion of this method optionally schedules the same method to be
 executed on all of the remaining zope server clients sharing the same
 zeo server.

 - if possible, triggered methods would be executed under a specified
 zope version or under the same zope version as the first executed
 method.

My goal is to maintain a mirror of some of the objects in the zeo
storage server on the local file system for each zope server client
and under some circumstances allow different versions of the same
object to be mirrored as well.  My idea is to use a single zope server
in the zeo cluster (is this the right terminology) for
modifying/testing content and to then mirror the content to each of
the zope server client's local file system.  My initial thought is to
use the fsdump and xron product to do such a thing.

I'm curious if these features could be implemented via zeo/xron or if
you have any other suggestions on a better way to implement such
features.

regards,

- joe n.