[ZODB-Dev] Re: Done! Re: More CVS shifting

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 18:43:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> If I do a checkout of Standalone ZODB, I get copies of directories
> that have been deleted, like StandaloneZODB/bsddb3Storage/test and
> StandaloneZODB/bsddb3Storage/tests.

I was thrown for a bit, but realize now that this is actually normal
behavior.

Try a new checkout of python from sourceforge - you'll see the lots of
empty directories you thought were long gone: python/dist/encodings,
python/dist/src/Demo/cwilib, python/dist/src/Demo/gui, ...

As you probably know, in cvs you're never supposed to actually delete a
directory from the repository.  When you 'cvs rm' a directory, the
directory is not actually removed - instead, the contents are stuffed in
the directory's 'Attic' dir.  It's when you do cvs updates with the '-P'
"prune" option (which we're all used to doing) that empty directories are
removed from your checkout.

Evidently, fresh checkouts do not ignore the effectively empty directories
- whether the repository is organized with symlinks, modules, or just
plain-old-directories. Apparently it just takes skeptical scrutinizing of
new checkouts after major structural changes in the repository to notice
them...

ignoring-history-and-doomed-to-be-surprised-by-empty-dirs'ly y'rs,

Ken
klm@zope.com