[ZODB-Dev] Packless, Mountable FileStorage?

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:29:55 +0100

Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> > BTW, has anyone made a packless FileStorage? I'm thinking about making a
>
> Since the current implementation appends changes to the file, it would
> be a complete new principle to change this. I think using the
> BSDDBStorage gives exactly this without extra developement.

...but introduces a dependency on BerkleyDB :-(

for me, the big win with ZODB is it's "batteries included" stuff. If I need a
database to store the data then I might as well go for something like PostGres
or Oracle and be done with it.

I dunno what the ZC thinking is on this...

> > portal_mail tool for the CMF that would store messages to be sent and then
> > send them from another process so you don't get a really long wait if
> > viewing a page results in mail messages being sent to lots of people.
>
> Hehe, we share that idea ;)

Indeed, although right now I'm tempted to just start hacking bits out of the CMF
to use outside it since the framework as a whole is just too painful to use :-(

> > This would need a storage for the messages (probably mounted like the CST's
> > internal data container) that was packless since it'd be a holding bay in
> > the situation I'm thinking of could easily have to handle several hundred
> > mails a day.
>
> Is there any clean way to mount different storages into ZODB?
> There were several approaches I've seen so far and none worked
> quite perfect.

Indeed. I wonder if Chris M has anything to add here?

cheers,

Chris