[ZODB-Dev] Packless, Mountable FileStorage?

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:16:55 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:

> for me, the big win with ZODB is it's "batteries included" stuff. If I need a
> database to store the data then I might as well go for something like PostGres
> or Oracle and be done with it.

Except that Postgres and Oracle are both pretty slow in comparison to
bsddb.  OracleStorage, untuned, is about 30 times slower than
FileStorage on the same hardware.  bssdbStorage on the other hand is
about 2 times slower than FileStorage.  bsddb is also easier to develop
for.

> > > This would need a storage for the messages (probably mounted like the CST's
> > > internal data container) that was packless since it'd be a holding bay in
> > > the situation I'm thinking of could easily have to handle several hundred
> > > mails a day.
> >
> > Is there any clean way to mount different storages into ZODB?
> > There were several approaches I've seen so far and none worked
> > quite perfect.
>
> Indeed. I wonder if Chris M has anything to add here?

Not too much to add other than mounting is an area for improvement!
;-)

(Was that politic enough, Jim? ;-)

--
Chris McDonough                           Zope Corporation
http://www.zope.org                    http://www.zope.com

""" Killing hundreds of birds with thousands of stones """