[Zope-ZEO] Need for PersistentList

John D. Heintz jheintz@isogen.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:35:37 -0600

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Andrew Kuchling wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 03:40:02PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> I would be reluctantly willing to include something like
>>> PersistentList in ZODB is I had some evidence that people actually
>>> needed it. Persistent sequences seem to be like persistent mappings
>>
>> Really?  Their absence drove us nuts, because whenever someone mutated
>> a list directly, it led to confusion and time lost to tracking it
>> down, so we wrote PersistentList and now use it all over the place.
>> Perhaps it's because we have lists of things all over the place --
>> steps, parameters -- while there seems less use for them in Zope,
>> where things are usually accessed by name.
>

> Hm.  I wonder what other peoples needs have been.

I'm glad you asked. ;-)  We have definetly felt a need for
PersistentList and soon will be migrating to Andrew's PersistentList
impl in our code.

We have also had a strong need for PersistentSet data structures with
union/intersection/...

Finally, we need for Persistent classes to be hashable.

Thanks for listening,
John