[ZODB-Dev] ZEO features

Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:52:11 -0400

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 04:46:19PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
>reality is more like:
>	remoteobj.value -> ZODB -> ZEOStorage -> network -> localstorage
>And ZEO just proxies the storage API...?

Correct.

>Since it appears that it is possible for more than one ZODB.DB to be
>attached to the same storage object, would it be possible to have
>the remote client and my in-process app server using the same data store,
>leaving things more like so:
>
>	remoteobj.value -> ZODB -> ZEOStorage -> network -> ZEOServer -> myserver.localstorage
>	myserver.localobj.value -> ZODB -> myserver.localstorage

Yes, but I don't think any physical storages support being opened
multiple times, so everyone has to connect using ZEO, so the second
one would be

>	myserver.localobj.value -> ZEOstorage -> localhost -> ZEOserver-> myserver.localstorage

We've used this approach with some success.  I have no idea when I'll
get a chance to work on this document again, so I may as well point it
out now, because a final version is a long way off.
http://www.amk.ca/python/arch/ is a fragmentary and incomplete
description of our development environment; section 4.2 is on the
ZODB.  (Comments would be ecstatically welcomed.)

--amk