[ZODB-Dev] What is meant by 'using RDMBS as the back-end storage'?

Christian Robottom Reis kiko@async.com.br
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:59:28 -0300 (BRT)

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Spicklemire, Jerry wrote:

> So, the question is, "why" does ZODB have to store pickled
> objects? Persistence doesn't require serialization, only
> storage and retrieval. The possibility of storing objects as
> native data suggests, at the very least, a radical way to
> apply patterns and perform re-factoring, and holds out the
> prospect of entirely new approaches to system design and
> analysis.

And then we run into the magical issue of `implementation'. Providing
transparent, automatic object-relational mapping isn't an easy task, and
could very possibly turn out to be very ugly. I've tried before and
basically gave it up when I discovered the ZODB and it's cleanliness.

I'm all for a nice O-R proposal for ZODB storage, but AFAICS native,
non-pickled mapping is simply too deep a hack for ZODB today. And since
drivers are needed for such a project, I don't think it's happening this
week.

Take care,
--
/\/\ Christian Reis, Senior Engineer, Async Open Source, Brazil
~\/~ http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 274 4311