[ZODB-Dev] CVS up in StandaloneZODB tree

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:03:14 -0400

    CRR> Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but does a 'cvs up' inside
    CRR> the StandaloneZODB tree cause everybody else to update
    CRR> everything inside Lib/?  This is odd, to me, since it doesn't
    CRR> happen on a plain checkout.

    CRR> Anybody seen this?

I'll bet you're using "cvs up -d"...

Yes, it's a known "bug" in the CVS layout, but there's apparently
little that can be done about it.  StandaloneZODB is a package woven
together via CVS modules, which has problems when things aren't
organized in directories.  I can't remember all the details (no matter
how many times Jeremy explains them to me ;).

Bottom line is that you don't want to do a "cvs up -d" in the top
level directory because when it decends into Lib/, it'll end up
checking out all the subdirectories of Lib/ that you don't need.
Instead do only a "cvs up" (no -d) in the top level dir and inside
Lib/, although "cvs up -d" should be safe in any of the other
directories.

(And yes, there should /at least/ be a README there to warn you.)

-Barry