[ZODB-Dev] future ZODB documentation

ender kthangavelu@earthlink.net
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 19:45:32 -0700

On Wednesday 20 June 2001 17:27, Michel Pelletier wrote:
>>On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, ender wrote:
>>> well if your asking for a wish list
>>>
>>> - references to other objects (stored class refs?)
>>
>>I don't know what you mean by this.  What's a stored class ref?

good question...  wasn't sure myself when i wrote the above;)

by class ref i meant the info required to reconstruct an instance of a given
class. the zodb stores refs to non extension based instances in the form of a
tuple (module, class) along with state & initargs of the instance. (extension
based classes get name,bases, dict and empty state).

i meant info on class/store instance references more as a pickleability
constraint, instances of generated class objects wouldn't survive a
shutdown/restart by pickling. even though its legal to pickle the instances
at while the generated class is in memory. its not likely that they will be
able to be loaded. perhaps a caveat to be noted, although probably not
worthwhile.

>>> - caching
>>
>>We cover that in volatile attributes.  Or do you mean ZEO caching?

i was more referring to the api for controling per connection caches (like
what zope exports in the managment interface) and more info on the usage of
PicklerCache in general, i'm rather curious of its potential use outside of
the zodb and by what means it garbage collects isolated objects. info on ZEO
caches would also be nice:)

most of this info would be more applicable towards ZODB developers.

>>> - versions
>>
>>Ah yes... I'll add that to the list.

cool.

cheers