[ZODB-Dev] ZEO on NT upgrade hints?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Tue, 29 May 2001 18:46:40 -0400 (EDT)

  CD> I just tried to upgrade ZEO from 0.4 to 1.0b3, and ran into a
  CD> few problems.  First, it's clear that this version of ZEO wants
  CD> v2.3.2 of Zope available (I'm using 2.3.0), because I got many
  CD> "cannot import up-to-date cPickle" errors until I tried it with
  CD> 2.3.2.

Sorry about that.  I'm not sure what versions of cPickle and asyncore
ship with what versions of Zope.  Perhaps Jim can chime in with an
explanation of what the minimum requirements for ZEO 1.0 are, in which
case I'll update the README file.

  CD> D:\Zope\bin\python D:\Zope\lib\python\ZEO\start.py -p 8800

  CD> I have a plain vanilla ZODB FileStorage living at var/Data.fs.
  CD> There is no Zope process running on the ZEO server, just ZEO.
  CD> Running the above batch file now returns to the command prompt
  CD> (which it shouldn't) without any errors, but without ZEO
  CD> running, either (no python processes in Task Manager).  I'm
  CD> really not clear on how to proceed from here.

The zLOG may contain more useful information.  I'm not sure how to
invoke it on NT, but I'll describe how I use it on Unix and hope you
can translate to your native tongue.  zLOG depends on two environment
variables, STUPID_LOG_FILE and STUPID_LOG_SEVERITY.  (The names are
stupid, I know.)  If you define STUPID_LOG_FILE, then zLOG output will
be written to a file with that name; if you use set the value to '',
the output will be sent to stderr.  The STUPID_LOG_SEVERITY controls
which error messages are ignored and which are logged.  The severity
levels range from -300 to 300 in increments of 100.  The default value
is 0.  I'd recommend setting it to -300 to get all the output.

If you can record the zLOG output for a failed attempt to run
start.py and send it to me, I may be able to help debug it.

Jeremy