[ZODB-Dev] ZClients not updating

Tom Jenkins tjenkins@devis.com
15 Nov 2001 14:50:39 -0500

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 11:55, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   TJ> Hello all, We are having some issues with our ZEO clients not
>   TJ> updating.  Here is our setup: 2 public zeo clients (zeo
>   TJ> 1.04b/zope 2.4.1) on linux 1 private zeo client (zeo 1.04b/zope
>   TJ> 2.4.1) on linux 1 StorageServer (zope 2.4.1) on linux
>
>   TJ> the users make changes to the site through the private zeo
>   TJ> client, the 2 public zeo clients are for public viewing.  We've
>   TJ> noticed that occasionally the changes made on the private zeo
>   TJ> client are not propagated to the public zeo clients.  We have to
>   TJ> restart them before the changes show up on the public zeo
>   TJ> clients.
>
>   TJ> We need some help tracking this down as it is really ticking off
>   TJ> our client.  Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ZEO is supposed to guarantee that this doesn't happen, so we ought to
> get to the bottom of it.  It looks like we should start by trying to
> understand if ZEO is failing to meet its contract or ZEO is being used
> incorrectly (which may in turn be caused by a poor explanation of
> ZEO's requirements).

[snip]

Jeremy,
I re-read what i posted earlier and need to make an important, i think,
clarification.  Its more likely to happen that only one or the other
public site will not get updated.  That is the user edits content on
private admin site, submits it, then the content is updated on public
zeo client 1 but not on public zeo client 2 (or vice-versa).  Of the
cases where this has occured in the past 3 months, the majority is that
only one public zeo client gets updated.

the physical layout of the network is:
3 zeo clients behind a firewall with only ports open to allow ssh, and
web required ports (80, 443, realserver, etc).

1 zope storage server behind a firewall that only allows connections
from the 3 zeo boxes.  only those ports required for zeo are open

You cannot directly connect from the Internet to the zope storage server
box.

regarding the logs: we don't have the verbose mode on and cannot restart
the server until at least 9:30pm EST because its live.  we will attempt
to reproduce the problem.

--

Tom Jenkins
Development InfoStructure