[ZODB-Dev] ZEO bandwidth requirements?

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:32:26 -0400

On 26 October 2001, Dunigan, Craig said:
> Can anyone tell me the minimum bandwidth requirements for a ZEO client to
> server connection?  My IS manager recently put a PacketShaper on our frame
> relay link that connects my remote ZEO clients to my local ZEO server, and
> capped the bandwidth available to them at 32KB.  This seems quite small to
> me, but is it sufficient?  Naturally, performance of the remote Zope servers
> has suffered tremendously when they have to pull a new or modified object
> over the frame, and I'd like to be able to argue that ZEO requires greater
> bandwidth to function properly.

I hate to sound pedantic, but ZEO *should* still function correctly at,
say, 1 byte/sec.  It will function *slowly*, but it should be *correct*
(in the absence of timeouts).

Which is just another way of saying that bandwidth requirements are
arbitrary and depend on the application.  If your application is
unacceptably slow at 32 kB/sec between ZEO client and server, then
you'll have to take that up with your IS manager, and with whoever
decides what "unacceptably slow" us.

Alas, this is more of a political problem than a technical problem.
Good luck!

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org