[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: StandaloneZODB/ZODB - cPersistence.c:1.58 cPersistence.h:1.25 cPickleCache.c:1.55

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:45:41 -0500

  TD> Checking through the Zope source I only see either of these
  TD> functions used once, in the Catalog indexing loop, where a call
  TD> to incrgc() should now work equally well. Ill change that.

Good.

  TD> The 'reduce to zero' behavior is handy for debugging memory and
  TD> refcount problems. but I struggle to think of aplausible use for
  TD> it outside of debugging.

  TD> Is anyone else making use of them?

I've recommended that people use them from time-to-time, but only
because the old cache implementation didn't really work <wink>.  So I
think it would be safe to deprecate them.

  TD> Is a tidy up justified? what about proving a new method
  TD> reduce_to_zero() and eventually remove fullsweep() and
  TD> reallyfullsweep()?

I like adding a new method -- what about cache.clear()?  But keeping
the old methods for backwards compatibility.  I don't expect we'll
have enough releases from the Zope2/ZODB3 branch to get to "eventually
removing" something.

We can start fresh with this for Zope3/ZODB4, since we don't have any
backwards compatibility requirements.

Jeremy