[ZODB-Dev] Mounting Non-Versioned Storage

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:41:27 -0400

> How much work would it be to make a modified version of FileStorage that
wasn't versioned?

Lots.

> How hard would it be to make the temporary storage non-temporary?

Very.  At least without a transaction-aware backend like BerkeleyDB and if
you cared about transactional integrity, it would be.  It would be useful to
have something lighter-weight than BerkeleyStorage for this kind of thing,
it just doesn't exist yet.

> How does that differ from the mounting stuff used to mount the new Temp.
session stuff?

Shane's thing lets you write an external method to decide which storage
class and which DB class to use.  The mounting code in 2.5 for use to mount
the TemporaryFolder is hardwired to mount a database backed by
TemporaryStorage.  They use the same machinery to do their respective jobs,
however.

> I have a perception that ExternalMount is old and unsupported, why is that
incorrect?

That's probably a literally correct statement.  But it works, and I assume
that's what you want.

- C