[ZODB-Dev] Mounting Non-Versioned Storage

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:31:23 -0400

Chris McDonough wrote:

> > How much work would it be to make a modified version of FileStorage that
> wasn't versioned?
>
> Lots.
>
> > How hard would it be to make the temporary storage non-temporary?
>
> Very.  At least without a transaction-aware backend like BerkeleyDB and if
> you cared about transactional integrity, it would be.  It would be useful to
> have something lighter-weight than BerkeleyStorage for this kind of thing,
> it just doesn't exist yet.

I doubt it ever will. :)

Concievably, you could hack packless to not use BDB transactions.
That would make it much faster and avoid the transaction lock
problems that Full and Packaless have.  Obviously, you'de be giving up
some reliability, but considering that a catalog can be pretty easily
rebuilt, this might be OK.

> > I have a perception that ExternalMount is old and unsupported, why is that
> incorrect?
>
> That's probably a literally correct statement.  But it works, and I assume
> that's what you want.

We use it on zope.org. The main problem with it is that it doesn't work
right for undo and versions, but you don't care about those.

Jim