[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com (Jeremy Hylton)
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 17:57:49 -0500

> ZODB Wishlist:
> - Distributed
> - Replication
> - Data Consistency/Integrity (ACID)
> - Multiple Storages (physical and or logical)
> - Scaleable (TB +)
> - Highest Possible Performance
> - Easy to use, maintain, and develop for.=20
> - The ability to Query objects.

Nick,

Many of the features you mention are already supported in ZODB3.  Can
you be specific about what is lacking for "distributed" to pick the
first example?

Also, I'll have to comment on "Highest Possible Performance."  That's
a funny one.  The highest possible performance comes at the highest
possible price, right?  There are fairly limited resources involved in
maintaing ZODB.  As far as I know, no one has been motivated enough by
measured performance problems with ZODB to attempt to fix them.
That's not saying that ZODB is fast enough for every application;
rather, it's fast enough for Zope, so Zope Corp. doesn't have much
incentive to invest time in speeding it up.  I'm not opposed to making
ZODB faster, but it's not my top priority.

Jeremy