[ZODB-Dev] ZEO2, sys.path, start.py and docs

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 04:03:45 -0500

>   AvdD> Upon inspection, I see that start.py does some sys.path
>   AvdD> munging, inserting 'lib/python'.  But later on, it does a
>   AvdD> os.chdir(env.var), so this path is now relative to the var
>   AvdD> directory.  The problem goes away if I use an absolute path to
>   AvdD> start.py or disable ZDaemon.
>
> It looks like the code to munge the path is buggy, but it's not clear
> to me when (if ever) it worked correctly.
>
> In all the ZEO installs I've seen/run, the ZEO software is installed
> in site-packages or in a directory that is manually added to
> PYTHONPATH before the start script is run.
>
>   AvdD> Have I done something wrong or is the README incorrect?
>
> The README is probably a bit out of date.  Either it or the code
> should be fixed.

In ZODB 3.2, ZEO/start.py will disappear.  You can look at its
replacement in CVS: ZEO/runsvr.py (the name was changed to clarify
that the command line arguments are incompatible and the
functionalilty is a subset of ZEO/start.py).  It won't do any sys.path
munging.