[ZODB-Dev] Fwd: [Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal (Martijn Faassen)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:44:24 -0500

--PvGxHjfOKI

There is a proposal to rename most of the Zope3 hierarchy.  This
proposal would effectively change all the ZODB/Persistence/Transaction
namespaces, too.  It looks like they would become subpackages of the
zope package.  Examples:

from zope.transaction import get_transaction
from zope.zodb.filestorage import FileStorage

What do people think of this change?  Please comment soon if you have
an opinion.  The proposal doesn't say much about the details of ZODB
name changes, but does suggest that everything will be contained
within zope.

A related matter is the organziation of modules and packages within
ZODB.  I had beent thinking that individual persistent data types
should be moved to subpackages like BTrees.  Examples:

from zope.persistence.dict import Dict
from zope.persistence.btrees.oobtree import OOBTree
from zope.persistence.code import Module

What do you think of these changes?  My biggest reservation is the
huge string you need to get at a BTree.  Perhaps it would be better to
do

from zope.persistence.btrees import OOBTree

The idea here is to create a large btrees package that loads all
possible BTrees.

Jeremy

--PvGxHjfOKI