[ZODB-Dev] Fwd: [Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal (Martijn Faassen)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:03:03 -0500

> A related matter is the organziation of modules and packages within
> ZODB.  I had beent thinking that individual persistent data types
> should be moved to subpackages like BTrees.  Examples:
>
> from zope.persistence.dict import Dict
> from zope.persistence.btrees.oobtree import OOBTree
> from zope.persistence.code import Module
>
> What do you think of these changes?  My biggest reservation is the
> huge string you need to get at a BTree.  Perhaps it would be better to
> do
>
> from zope.persistence.btrees import OOBTree
>
> The idea here is to create a large btrees package that loads all
> possible BTrees.

I would propose to move the btrees module/package out of the
persistence package.  Then you could write

from zope.btrees import OOBTree

I see no reason why the btrees package should live inside the
persistence package: the persistence package is usable just fine
without btrees.