[ZODB-Dev] Fwd: [Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal (Martijn Faassen)

Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:20:43 -0500

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:44:24AM -0500, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>What do people think of this change?  Please comment soon if you have
>an opinion.  The proposal doesn't say much about the details of ZODB
>name changes, but does suggest that everything will be contained
>within zope.

This doesn't pose a problem for us as users.

It may pose a problem for you as the authors, though.  The Distutils
aren't set up for installing subpackages inside a package, and instead
always install a new top-level package.  That means that if I install
zope.zodb, and six months later install zope.tal, the second
installation will overwrite zope/__init__.py.

If you do this, you should be careful that zope/__init__.py is just an
empty placeholder file, containing no actual code, so it doesn't
matter what version of the file is present.

>from zope.persistence.dict import Dict
>from zope.persistence.btrees.oobtree import OOBTree
>from zope.persistence.code import Module

<shrug> Annoyingly long, true, but I can't think of anything better.
We generally use a new_persistent_map() convenience function of our
own, anyway.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
This is the moment when I get a real sense of job satisfaction.
      -- The Collector, at Leela's execution, in "The Sunmakers"